When your Cottonwood Shores rental property is a bit older, you may be fearful about attracting quality tenants. This is doubly true if you have newer rental homes in your local market. It can be problematic for an older home to compete against newer ones, mostly if it lacks specific updates. Luckily, there are various things that you can do to help your older rental home look more modern and maintain that strong appeal. In actual fact, with a little time and a little money, you can give your rental home a modern makeover that will not only allow you to attract tenants but may boost your property values, too. Check below our list of top ways to make your older rental home look modern.
- Go Bright. The modern look and feel is all about light and space. To make your rental’s interiors look enticing, use light, neutral paint for walls and trim with pops of bright color as accents. Just don’t go for too many colors at once – a single accent door or wall is typically all you’ll need.
- Open It Up. If your older rental home has a lot of walls dividing the main living areas, consider getting rid of one or more of them. Modern home design is more open-concept, with big living areas that flow from space to space. Simply removing a wall between the kitchen and dining room, for instance, can make your rental feel more open and modern inside.
- Upgrade Cabinet Hardware and Faucets. In the kitchen, a cheap upgrade that can dramatically modernize the room is to replace cabinet hardware and the faucet. Clean, bright lines in your cabinet handles and faucets can make a significant difference in the look and feel of the kitchen.
- Remove Popcorn Ceilings. If your rental property appears to have a popcorn ceiling lurking inside, it is best to get rid of it. Popcorn ceilings were prevalent at one time, but now they instantly date a rental home’s interior. Select a smooth neutral finish on your rental’s ceilings as an alternative.
- Opt-Out of Carpet. Another excellent method to modernize an older rental is to replace carpeted floors with hard surface flooring, such as reliable wood-look vinyl planks. Vinyl planks are less expensive as opposed to carpet and will possibly last much longer than carpet, anyway. Besides, it will help your rental’s interior rooms feel more open and airy, which is the grounds of modern design.
- Upgrade Outlets and Lights. Untidy or old-fashioned electrical outlets and light fixtures can make your rental look unpleasant. By simply replacing both with new, modern styles, you can boost the contemporary look of any room.
- New Doors. Your rental doors are also an incredible option for modernizing your property. Your rental’s front door, specifically, is a critical part of your property’s curb appeal. Begin by replacing an old or outdated door with something trendy and appealing, especially in a bright, complementary color. A beautiful door can add the welcoming touch your rental needs to stay competitive in today’s rental market.
- Smart Locks, Thermostat, and More. In conclusion, today’s modern rental homes include a range of smart upgrades, such as smart locks, smart thermostats, and all that. These devices can be controlled from a smartphone and can strengthen the security and efficiency of any property. Your tenants will really like the convenience and savings, and you will love the boost in rental rates and property values you’ll surely get as a benefit.
Would you like to know more about easy and affordable ways to update your rental property? Give Real Property Management Highland a call! Our Cottonwood Shores property management team helps rental property owners like you create and maintain profitable rental homes. Contact us online for more information.
We are pledged to the letter and spirit of U.S. policy for the achievement of equal housing opportunity throughout the Nation. See Equal Housing Opportunity Statement for more information.